California Trout (CalTrout) is looking for an energetic, organized, and mature college-aged individual to assist in the delivery of CalTrout’s 2014 Hat Creek Youth Initiative. The Team Leader will work under the guidance of the CalTrout Project Coordinator, to supervise and manage a field crew of high school aged students in various stream-bank restoration and scientific monitoring projects. The Hat Creek Youth Initiative is in support of CalTrout’s River Restoration Project and the larger efforts of restoring Hat Creek’s Wild Trout Area. The Team Leader will have opportunities to network with a diverse range of Natural Resource Professionals, and will receive career training and guidance from CalTrout Staff.
Mandatory Requirements of the Position:
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Pursuing or recently graduated with a technical or college degree in Natural Resources is strongly preferred
- California Driver’s License with a clean driving record (or equivalent from other state)
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and make field decisions daily
- College aged
- Ability to participate in a moderate to high range of physical work
- Be available full-time during the summer season
- At least one summer of related field experience
Interested persons with experience and/or education in the following activities are encouraged to apply:
- Stream-bank restoration
- Trail layout and building
- Erosion and sediment control
- Riparian plant identification
- Scientific monitoring
- Public interaction/ supervising youth
This is a paid summer seasonal position at the rate of $16.50/hour with no benefits. The Team Leader will be based during the field season in either Fall River Mills or Burney, in Northern California for the duration of the summer. Having access to your own personal vehicle is encouraged but not required (possibility of using rental vehicle if own insurance is provided). Housing may be provided, but there is no guarantee. Assistance in finding a room/rental can be accommodated if housing is not provided. The area offers numerous opportunities for fishing, hiking, camping and recreating. The town of Burney is located an hour from the city of Redding, CA where there are amenities that the small-town of Burney does not offer. This position does not include benefits or paid holidays.
Experienced and interested individuals are encouraged to forward a detailed cover letter and resume to:
Project Coordinator- Hat Creek Youth Initiative
CalTrout- Mount Shasta Office
701A Mount Shasta Blvd, Mount Shasta, CA, 96067
Applications must be received by March 14, 2014 at 12:00 PM PST.