US National Forests lands hold the majority of native trout habitat in California. The Forest Service is in the process of renewing their Management Plans.
In collaboration with the Sierra Forest Legacy-led coalition of conservation organizations, CalTrout is reviewing aquatic resource and invasive species issues and developing Conservation Strategies to facilitate USFS Management Plan revisions. To this end, we will:
- Assist with development of Species Accounts for native trout in the Sierra Nevada and Cascade Forests
- Ensure revised National Forest Management Plans address needs of target aquatic species
- Develop Conservation Strategies that ensure National Forest Management Plans address invasive species prevention and control
- Recommend waters for Wild & Scenic Rivers Act evaluation and/or designation
- Recommend areas for wilderness evaluation and/or designation
Key Partners: Sierra Forest Legacy, US Forest Service