Protect CA’s largest spring-fed river, over 30 miles of wild and native trout habitat, and one million acre-feet per year of cold, clean volcanic source water that provides habitat for native fish and wildlife, water for hydropower and agriculture, and reserve storage and recharge for Shasta Reservoir.
- Secured funding from the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF) to launch the Fall River’s first Native Trout Monitoring and Assessment Program;
- Partnered with the UCD CWS and CA DFW to set up a Passive Integrated Transponder (PIT) monitoring system throughout the Fall River’s 30 mile network of lakes, springs, and tributaries; program tracks wild trout migration, growth rates, genetics, and population structure;
- Expanded Fall River Wild and Native Trout Monitoring Program, over 2,000 fish tagged, new additional Graybarn Bridge Array installed in upper Fall River;
- Published Fall River Wild Trout Monitoring Program data in Genetics journal, Fall River data set used to show the power and utility of a new conservation genetics technique, RAD Capture (Rapture), a more efficient method of genetic analysis;
- Identified— by UCD CWS researchers—a new genetically distinct population of Fall River/Bear Creek Native Trout;
- In partnership with the Fall River Conservancy (FRC), launched new Fall River Riparian Restoration and Cattle Exclusion Fencing Project in lower river.
What We Will Achieve in 2016-17
- Tag additional 500-1000 native trout, collect genetic samples and process at UCD CWS;
- Install 2 new arrays at Lava Creek and Big Springs;
- Monitor, track, and assess health of Fall River Wild Trout Population and genetically distinct Bear Creek Native Trout population;
- Partner with private landowners and the FRC to install 5 miles of cattle exclusion fencing, restore 5 miles of riparian habitat with native plants, trees, and shrubs;
- Build capacity at the FRC to empower local landowners, fly fishing guides, and agricultural operators to protect the unique source water resources and genetically distinct native trout of the Fall River Valley.