Job Title: Communications Associate
Office Location: San Francisco, CA
Functional Area: Marketing and Communications
Employment Status: Full-time, exempt
Hours: 40 hours/week
*6/1/18 UPDATE: This position has been filled*
California Trout (www.caltrout.org), a 47-year-old environmental non-profit organization based in San Francisco dedicated to ensuring resilient wild fish in healthy waters for a better California, seeks a motivated and talented Communications Associate to join our team.
The Associate will report to the Marketing-Communications (MarCom) Director and will be responsible for the development and implementation of marketing and communication initiatives as well as event outreach. This entails working closely with the director to clearly convey CalTrout’s mission and projects to supporters and leads through print, digital and multi-media content creation. The Associate will work with and manage relationships with designer, web-developer and printer for marketing materials and collateral. The Associate will use the supporter database to analyze audiences and integrate with communication efforts.
• Coordinate the development, distribution, and promotion of CalTrout marketing materials, including but not limited to quarterly e-magazine (The Current), monthly e-newsletter (Streamkeeper’s bLog), and bi-annual progress report (Watershed Review).
• Maintain CalTrout’s website with timely news posts and images, working closely with MarCom Director and collaborating with graphic designer, web developer and staff.
• Assist in the development and implementation of a comprehensive social media plan and create appropriate content/contests to grow our social media/online presence.
• Coordinate, promote and manage various outreach events including the screening of the International Fly Fishing Film Festival and the Pleasanton Fly Fishing Show.
• Source, order and maintain supplies of CalTrout retail items, incentives and branded wear.
• Coordinate production of CalTrout collateral, including annual calendar, brochures, and marketing pieces.
• Track, monitor, and analyze all marketing efforts to determine effectiveness – email effectiveness, google analytics.
• Coordinate with Development staff to keep CRM database and email lists updated with communications to/from donors.
Education, Skills, and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree and 3-5+ years of related nonprofit and/or marketing/communications experience.
• Superior verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to articulate complex conservation issues and California Trout’s mission and goals to a wide range of audiences.
• Superior ability to manage multiple projects, meeting timelines and budgets.
• Strong self-starter with the capacity to work independently as well as collaboratively
• Social media and email marketing experience
• Excellent attention to detail
• Experience with WordPress and SEO
• Demonstrated experience using MS Office, CRM (Neon a plus), Mailchimp, Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
• Occasional weekend and evening responsibilities
• Occasionally lifts, carries, and moves objects weighing up to 30 pounds
• Valid driver’s license and safe driving record
TO APPLY: Please email cover letter and resume, including salary request to jobs@CalTrout.org with subject line: Communications Associate application from <your name>. In your cover letter, please explain how your background and skills will help advance CalTrout’s communications and outreach.
We recommend submitting your application soon; we will continue to accept applications until we have enough quality candidates. Ideally, we’d like the Associate to start before the end of May.