The 2020 CalTrout Photo Contest Voting Period will open Sept 15
Show us how you enjoy California's natural beauty through your lens.
Give us your best shot.
Help us share the beauty of our state and it's amazing natural resources by entering our annual photo contest. Share your best photos of California’s rivers, streams, wild fish, and your angling experiences. And remember to #KeepEmWet. Photos can include fish, anglers or others enjoying California waters, or be more scenic in nature.
Enter today for a chance to be featured on CalTrout’s website and in our digital magazine The Current, and to win some great prizes specified below from our sponsors! Good luck!
- GRAND PRIZE – 1 Winner
Photo featured on the home page of CalTrout website, one-year CalTrout membership, Sage X 9' 5# Fly Rod , CalTrout engraved Galvan Reel, CalTrout neck gaiter ($1,450 value).
- PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD – 1 Winner
Photo featured on the home page of CalTrout website, one-year CalTrout membership, YETI Tundra 45L Cooler with CalTrout logo, CalTrout embroidered Patagonia Black Hole Gear Tote, Caltrout Koozies ($450 value).
- BEST PHOTOS – 9 Winners
Photo included on Caltrout.org photo contest page, one-year CalTrout membership, one pair of SMITH Polarized Lowdown 2 Sunglasses, and CalTrout neck gaiter ($250 value).
- July 15: contest submission begins
- August 31: contest submission ends
- Sept 15: voting period begins (CalTrout will select 25 finalists and open public voting for the People's Choice Award)
- Sept 30: voting period ends
- Oct 5: winners announced and prizes sent in the mail.
Contest Rules and Guidelines:
Once the submission period has ended, CalTrout will select 25 finalists. From those finalists, our members and social media followers will vote to determine the People's Choice Award winner and 9 Best Photo winners. CalTrout judges will select the Grand Prize winner. View the 2019 Photo Contest winners.
Participants must read the following rules, terms and legal conditions before submitting any photos. Click here to read the legal conditions.
Judging Criteria: Photos will be judged on how well they depict the spirit of California waters and/or the sport of fly-fishing as well as overall artistic merit (lighting, color, composition, etc).
- All photos must in some way be related to California rivers, creeks, streams, or lakes and the activities around them. Ideally, photos should have a horizontal format.
- Maximum number of entries: 10 per individual.
- All submissions must be submitted using the contest online entry form. (This will be available when the submission period begins on 7/15.)
- Photographs must be in digital format.
- Only online entries will be eligible. No print or film submissions will be accepted.
- The photograph need not be taken with a digital camera; scans of negatives, transparencies, or photographic prints are acceptable.
- Digital files must be high resolution, 300 ppi, max file size is 15MB and must be in .jpg format.
- All entries must be received by midnight PST, August 31, 2020.
- If a person is in the photo, you must submit a signed model release for each person depicted in the image.
If you have questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.